It was very likely that Dr Sun Yat-sen had attended the foundation ceremony of the new Government Central School. The Government Central School moved to the new site when it was renamed Victoria College, and then changed its name to Queen’s College. The former site of Queen’s College is PMQ now.
On 26 April 1884, the ceremony to lay the foundation stone of the new premises of the Government Central School at the junction of Aberdeen Street and Hollywood Road was presided over by the Governor of Hong Kong, Sir George Ferguson Bowen. Dr Sun Yat-sen had just enrolled at the school, and it is thought likely that he attended the ceremony. The school moved to the new site in 1889, when it was renamed Victoria College; it changed its name to Queen’s College in 1894.
It was very likely that Dr Sun Yat-sen had attended the foundation ceremony of the new Government Central School on Hollywood Road as a newly joined student. His prudence in pursuing study and persistence in advocating revolution look like the airy roots of the banyan tree that could only touch the ground after a certain number of years. This artwork depicts the silhouette of Dr Sun Yat-sen and the cover page of the Yellow Dragon (school magazine of Queen’s College), and whispers with the original site of the Government Central School across the street.
Kenneth Tse, an architect educated and brought up in Hong Kong. He has been devoting to projects about community, culture, visual art and historical heritage for decades. He received his Master of Architecture from the University of Hong Kong in 1997. He won the First Prize in the architectural design competition for the Centre for Youth Development in 2000 and established as the co-founders of Meta4 Design Forum Ltd. His award accolades include: Hong Kong Institute of Architects Medal Award for the Jockey Club Creative Arts Centre in 2009, and UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation Award of Excellence for the Revitalization of Blue House Cluster in 2017.